Smart Bed Support Levels
Like with any mattress, the most essential criterion for a smart bed is whether it delivers the support you need for spinal alignment, says Bert Jacobson, head of the School of Kinesiology, Applied Health and Recreation at Oklahoma State University, who researches the impact of sleep surfaces on slumber quality.
Your body type can determine what level of fitness is necessary for a good nights sleep. Heavier people tend to require firmer mattresses to support their bodys pressure zones, for example. One size does not fit all. For the best support, a bed should conform to your weight and form, with different amounts of density where the body is heavier or lighter, says Jacobson. A Consumer Reports survey found people with neck and back pain reported better sleep on adjustable air beds such as Sleep Number mattresses, where firmness could be precisely tweaked.
Sleep Number Vs Personal Comfort
Theres not just one bed by Personal Comfort that compares to a Sleep Number. Rather, nearly every bed made by Personal Comfort is produced to directly compete with a corresponding Sleep Number model. Sleep Number offers the Classic, Performance, and Innovation lines, and Personal Comfort offers the Classic, Advanced, and Elegance lines.
Both mattress manufacturers have designed these lines to be priced from budget-friendly to luxury investment, and the bed models share similar names . But how do Personal Comfort mattresses actually compare?
Personal Comforts price points are generally lower compared to Sleep Number , but some customers note issues with the beds durability and Personal Comforts customer service.
What Consumer Testers Are Saying
- More than 6,000 reviewers have called it comfortable and said it offers good support. Other common phrases in reviews include how well the mattress holds shape, its soft feel, and how durable it is.
- One consumer noted it took a couple of nights to get used to it, but after that, they had a good nights sleep every time.
- Another consumer reviewer called the AS3 the best mattress I have owned, and loved how it helped relieve symptoms of medical conditions.
- Bio-Pur® foam resists impressions while cradling the bodys joints
- Hexagonal cutouts ensure the mattress feels soft and firm where needed
- Refresh cover does more than just release heat it makes use of it
- Hot sleepers looking for a cooling memory foam mattress
- Side, back, and combination sleepers
Best Mattress Features
- Gel memory foam whisks heat away from the sleepers body
- Reactiv layer is named for its adaptability
- Support+ foam limits sagging and permanent impressions
Our runner-up option was similarly quick to emerge as we put together this list, and we soon knew our second recommendation would have to be the Zoma Mattress. What makes this mattress a particular favorite is its focus on recovery, meant to boost a sleepers daily performance by helping them rest longer and deeper.
The Zoma Mattress has a 100-night sleep trial and a 10-year warranty.
Recommended Reading: Can I Be Put To Sleep For Tooth Extraction
Sleep Number Mattress Reviews
Learn why people have been turning to Sleep Number beds for decades to satisfy their customizable bed needs.
In This Review
When it comes to adjustable airbeds, Sleep Number is probably one of the first brands that comes to mind. Sleep Numbers luxury adjustable mattresses are perfect for couples or people who are just looking for their ideal level of firmness or comfort. There are 5 mattress collections in Sleep Numbers arsenal, and we are going to explore each in depth, so keep reading for a deeper dive.
Who Might Want A Sleep Number
- People who like air beds- First and foremost, the core of the Sleep Number bed is the adjustable air mattress. Those who have had a positive experience with air beds, they will probably like what Sleep Number has to offer especially with all of its adjustable features.
- Couples who sleep differently Couples who have different support level preferences may like Sleep Number beds because most beds can be made with dual air chambers that allow each person to decide how firm their side of the bed will be. Some models like the I-10 even have comfort layers that can be adjusted on each side.
- People with physical injuries or medical conditions Whether its a bad back, occasional heartburn or recovery from an accident, Sleep Numbers adjustable mattress, and FlexFit bases allow people to get comfortable easily and then re-adjust when theyre back to normal.
- People who want options and flexibility Individualized comfort is the name of Sleep Numbers game, so its no surprise that people who want to be able to change things up on a nightly basis will like these models. Sleepers can adjust the firmness, pick a model whose layers fit their needs some can even help to sleep cool and they can add a FlexFit base for even more sleeping options.
You May Like: Sit And Sleep Carrollton Georgia
What Is The Most Comfortable Queen Size Mattress For The Money
Generally speaking, a budget shopper should look for a queen size memory foam mattress if they want to save money while sleeping in comfort. Latex mattresses and hybrid mattresses tend to cost more than memory foam mattresses.
While traditional innerspring mattresses are also affordable, with some of them costing less than a memory foam bed, they are not to all sleepers tastes. For example, a side sleeper is more likely to find an innerspring mattress uncomfortable than a back or stomach sleeper.
The Sleep Number 360 Smart Bed Performance Series
The Performance Series is slightly plusher than the Classic Series. The p5 and cooling pSE each have 4 inches of cushioning, for a total height of 10 inches. The p6, the companys most popular mattress, has an additional inch of cushioning, for an overall thickness of 11 inches.
Compared with the beds in the Classic line and the Performance lines p5, the p6 felt like a real mattress, the kind with a surface thats adequately cushioned for people who are not particularly high-maintenance. But when I tried the p6 at home, I couldnt shake the feeling that I was sleeping on a rubber raft. The 5 inches of foam wasnt enough for me to nestle into, even with a softer air-bladder setting. Letting out air offered more give, but then the bed didnt feel as supportive, and it still didnt feel fluffy, per se.
I was left feeling adrift, but my husband, by contrast, loved sleeping on the p6. For once, instead of compromising on my medium-soft-mattress preferences, he could sleep on a firm mattress next to me. It was a sad day for him when we returned this mattress.
The pSE wasnt available to try at the store when I visited, but Sleep Numbers publicist said it has proprietary ClimaTemp foam that is softer and more plush than whats typically used on the p series. Unfortunately, were not sure exactly how this technology works because Sleep Number doesnt share details about its foam.
Also Check: National Guard At Capitol Sleeping
You May Like: Sleep Apnea Treatment And Weight Loss
What Is A Smart Bed
Smart mattresses are any bed equipped with technology that tracks sleep or sensors that improve your sleep experience. Some potential smart bed capabilities include
- Automatic firmness adjustments: Air beds have come a long way. Rather than simply choosing your select comfort level and leaving it at that, smart air pumps monitor and adjust mattress firmness to encourage uninterrupted sleep.
- Sleep tracking
- Climate control
- Connection to smart devices
Adjustable bases are smart bed frames. Most adjustable bases allow you to raise the head or foot of the bed. You can pair adjustable bed frames with smart mattresses or most traditional mattresses. If youre interested in smart bases, check out our top picks for the best adjustable beds.
Sleep Number Mattress Pricing
Sleep Number mattresses fall into the luxury mattress category. Website pricing for queen mattresses is $899 to $4,299, depending on the model. These prices dont include optional upgrades, like regular or adjustable bases.
Sleep Number mattresses are generally comparable to other luxury mattresses. A queen-size Sleep Number 360 pSE Smart Bed with an adjustable base, under-bed lighting, and a foot-warming feature is $5,198 before tax and shipping. Thats about the same price as a Tempur-Pedic mattress with similar options and upgrades.
You May Like: Fat Burners That Work While You Sleep
The Dhp Dakota Upholstered Faux Leather Platform Bed Frame
For those who are looking for a more attractive option, you may want to look into the DHP Dakota Upholstered Faux Leather Platform Bed Frame.
The DHP Dakota Upholstered Faux Leather Bed Frame is an affordable, sturdy, wooden bed frame that features an attractive upholstered faux leather design that reaches both its headboard as well as its footboard.
The design is a button tufted look that comes in a variety of different colors to match any style that you room may feature.
Your bed frame can also come with or without drawers, a great feature for those who need the extra space but who would not be able to get it with the low hanging side pieces on this product.
Speaking to the overall functionality of this product, this bed frame utilizes a sturdy wooden frame design and an even sturdier wooden slat system to keep your mattress supported throughout the night.
This bed frame also provides an additional metal side rail system that keeps the mattress so that it remains firmly in place regardless of how often you shift around during the night.
This is a valuable feature as most bed frames with wooden slat systems are susceptible to moving around quite a bit. The bed frame also boasts an impressive 500-pound limit and a quick assembly process.
Much like the previous product, a lot of people are happy with this purchase and say that it does the job well.
Sleep Number Innovation Series I8 Vs Tempur
The i8 is one of three mattresses in Sleep Numbers Innovation line, which has above-average pricing and is the most luxurious of the three Sleep Number lines. While the Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR ProAdapt doesnt have adjustable air chambers, it comes in three firmness settings: soft, medium, and firm.
Qualities the mattresses share include a 12 height, deep pressure relief, and a high price point. The i8 and the TEMPUR ProAdapt can accommodate a wide range of sleepers, have high-quality construction, and have great durability ratings.
Don’t Miss: Drinks That Help You Lose Weight While Sleeping
Sleep Number Beds Review Overview
The Sleep Number Beds are a great option for shoppers looking for a luxurious sleep experience. Sleep Number creates many adjustable air beds that allow users to customize the firmness and support of their mattress among other customizable settings.
A Sleep Number Bed is a great choice for sleepers with specific needs. If you have specific pain points or a particular sleep disorder, you may be more sensitive to your sleep environment and benefit from being able to adjust your bed to your preferences. Keep in mind, these mattresses offer a luxury experience, so they come at a high price. For shoppers in the market for a budget mattress, you may want to look elsewhere.
RELATED: Best Sleep Number Bed Alternatives
Sleep Number 360 P5 Smart Bed
- Price: $$
- Type: adjustable air bed
- Height: 10 inches
Designed for pressure relief, the p5 Smart Bed has a 4-inch comfort layer that contours to your body. It has all the same adjustable features as other Sleep Number mattresses.
Close to 12,000 reviews rate this mattress 4.7 out of 5 stars. Again, over 9,000 of these reviews are 5 stars. Reviewers praise the mattresss comfort and adjustability.
Unhappy customers describe the mattress as noisy and uncomfortable.
Also Check: Mid Century Sleeper Sofa Queen
Who Is Best Suited To A Queen Mattress
Queen mattresses have been standard in the mattress industry ever since the 1950s. At 60 by 80 inches, a queen mattress is roomier than a full size mattress , but it doesnt take up as much space as a king size mattress . A queen size mattress is ideal for one or two sleepers, or for taller people who find a full size mattress too short.
Though rare, you may also come across alternate queen sizes such as Olympic or split queen .
Single Adults: Many of us outgrow our twin size beds as we reach adulthood, and for some, a full size mattress may feel a little cramped. A queen size mattress allows ample room to sleep comfortably. While we recommend avoiding non-sleep activities in bed, many people also find that their roomy queen mattress is the ideal spot to carry out activities like reading, watching television, or just hanging out.
Couples: A queen size mattress is the perfect compromise for couples who like sharing a bed and who value cuddling and sex, but who also need their own space to fall asleep. Couples may want to choose a mattress thats quiet and able to absorb motion to reduce nighttime disturbances. Strong edges are also a plus, as they allow each partner to spread out without fears of falling off the bed.
Who Might Not Want A Sleep Number
- People who love memory foam Depending on what is available, there are one possibly two Sleep Number models that offer a comfort layer made with memory foam. Those who love the feel of classic memory foam will be limited on Sleep Number beds, which are at their core adjustable air beds.
- Couples who like to sleep close together One of the biggest complaints from couples is that a sagging/division is created in between the dual air chambers on the bed. Couples who like to sleep close or cuddle in the center of the bed feel as those they are sinking into the middle of the bed.
Also Check: Best Guided Sleep Meditation App
Is Sleep Number The Best Mattress
Sleep Number is one of the most well known mattress brands and has good scores from customers on initial comfort with its number firmness technology. However, there are some complaints about durability on the electronics, pumps, and air technology, which cause customers concern about value over time.
What To Look For In An Adjustable Bed
When mattress shopping, we urge you to ignore misleading marketing language often used by mattress companies. For example, you may notice companies advertising a product as the top adjustable bed on the market, or ideal for any sleeper.
Instead of heeding those claims, pay close attention to the following considerations while keeping your personal preferences and needs in mind.
Mattress CompatibilitySplit queen adjustable beds require compatible mattresses. To ensure the mattress will work with your intended base, it helps to order the adjustable bed frame and mattresses from the same company, especially if the products are designed to be used together.
Weight LimitConsider an adjustable beds weight limit before purchasing. Be sure to factor in the weight of the mattresses and your body weight to ensure the adjustable bed frame has the strength and durability to provide a stable base.
Most quality adjustable bases can handle at least several hundred pounds. Cheaper models made with lightweight materials may lack sufficient sturdiness.
WarrantyMany adjustable beds include warranties, but the length of coverage can vary significantly. Electrical components are often covered separately and for a shorter length of time than the rest of the materials.
You May Like: Does Going To Sleep Early Help Lose Weight
Customization Options And Special Features
Customization options and features vary based on the Sleep Number collection and include:
- Flexfit, which allows users to raise their partners head to reduce snoring.
- Under-bed lighting, which helps users find their way around at night safely with additional illumination.
- Adjustable positions, which raise or lower portions of the bed to adjust the users overall sleeping experience.
- Foot warming, which provides targeted, adjustable heat at the foot of the bed.
Construction And Materials Comparison
The construction of a mattress is of central importance to its feel, performance, and durability. The construction includes both the design of its layers and the actual materials used in those layers.
In general, a mattress can be understood as having two main sections:
- The comfort system is the top part and offers the most immediate effect on feel. It is normally made of polyfoam, memory foam, latex, wool, cotton, and/or polyester.
- The support core is the bottom part of the mattress. It affects the mattress feel and the performance of the comfort system. The support core also helps prevent against excessive sagging in the mattress. It can be made with polyfoam, latex, innerspring coils, or air chambers.
Both the comfort system and support core can be made up of one or more layers that can be the same or different materials. Quality components in each and every layer will help protect against a weak link that drags down the overall mattress performance.
The following sections give an overview of the construction and materials in the Tempur-Pedic and Sleep Number beds. While we know the basics about what goes into them, neither company discloses all the specifications of their mattresses, which can at times make it difficult to fully compare their models.
Browse Sleep Number Customer Reviews
Going with the C2 and adding my own bells and whistles
Very grateful for Candid Reviewer’s advice. We were interested in the C2 after seeing the excellent rating it received from Consumer Reports, with high marks for durability, side and back sleeping. We went to the sleep number store, stuck to our plan and avoided being up- sold, and bought both the recommended fiber topper and a gel topper to experiment with once the C2 arrives. We also are using our old metal frame with a queen-size bunkie board , for a nice savings compared to the $300 foundation from sleep number. More $ for new sheets and bedding!
Not perfect but best mattress I’ve had in….well ever.
I will not buy any other bed again.
Best bed I ever had. I’m a big person 300 Plus pounds…At year 10 the pump went out and I called…they still had my info and sold me a new pump at 1/2 price. It’s went through 2 moves and is still great! My husband is also big so it stands up to heavy folks. Folks on the phone were friendly and helpful. I’m looking now to buy my son one.
So far, So Good!
Warning: Sleep Number Beds Last Only 6 Years
I wish I had not purchased this bed since I cannot find a good sleep position and will purchase another mattress
One moth in and love it, after a few tweaks
DO NOT BUY THIS BED!!!! READ YOUR WARRANTY!!!
ONLY buy the C2 mattress, no upgrades
DO NOT BUY
Love the bed, hate the technology
A review 6 years in the making
Delivery / Service