Should I Buy Or Build My Own Platform Bed
If youve decided that you want a platform bed but are on the fence about whether to buy one or build one, these factors may help you decide.
You should lean toward buying a platform bed if:
- You have limited experience with DIY projects. Since it needs to support the weight of your mattress and body, a platform bed may not be the ideal starter DIY project.
- You put heavy strain on the bed. If youre reliant on a sturdy bed base because of your weight or how you use your mattress, it may be wiser to opt for a proven, well-reviewed platform bed.
- You want to ensure the validity of your mattress warranty. You can typically be more confident that your mattress warranty will remain valid if you select an appropriate platform bed to buy as opposed to making one yourself.
- You lack tools or workspace. If you have to acquire new tools or occupy your living room as a workshop to try to build a platform frame, it likely makes more sense to purchase one instead.
- You need a bed frame ASAP. Most platform beds bought online can be quickly delivered and installed with ease, so if youre in a rush, its better to buy a platform bed than build one.
You should lean toward building your own platform bed if:
- Was this article helpful?
Replace The Bed Slats
One probable reason your bed is sinking in the middle may be due to the slats of your bed frame caving in. Therefore, it is essential to regularly inspect your Sleep Number mattress and comfort layer and the actual frame. It makes perfect sense as the frame carries your entire bed. For sturdier support, add 12 slats in the middle and consider replacing the standard 1×4 bed slat width with either 1×6 or 1×8. Furthermore, make sure to check that you are not missing any support rails.
Recommended Reading: What To Do With Old Tempurpedic Mattress
Which Frame Provides Enough Support For A Sleep Number Bed
A traditional box spring on its own does not provide the adequate support needed for a sleep number bed. Your frame makes a big difference in the type of support your mattress provides.
The important question to ask is: could your bed frame support a mattress on its own, without a box spring? If so, then you could possibly use your box spring with the Sleep Number bed if you choose to. This is because the mattress will have enough extra support from your frame.
Here are the most common bed frames, and whether a traditional box spring might be feasible:
Collapsible metal frame: A collapsible metal frame doesnt have any extra support in the middle. A Sleep Number bed needs to be on a solid frame, or at least have slats. These frames would not be suitable.
Platform bed: If you have a platform bed, you do not need a box spring or foundation at all. These provide a solid base that replaces the need for a box spring. You probably could put a box spring underneath this mattress, but a wood foundation would be better if you need one.
Slatted bed frame: This is another frame that doesnt require a box spring or foundation. If the slats are close enough together, you may be able to use your box spring with this type of frame. Again, the wooden foundation works better here.
Recommended Reading: Sleep Train Vs Mattress Firm
Making Sense Of Sleep Number
The Sleep Number 360 Smart Bed line consists of four series, most of which include several models:
From a design standpoint, Sleep Number 360 Smart Beds and Value Beds are similar to any other mattresses: Each contains an upper comfort portion made of foam layers and a lower support portion. Instead of the foam or springs found in the lower support portion of conventional mattresses, in Sleep Number mattresses, that support portion consists of an adjustable air chamber and a support pad. These air chambers make it possible for couples to independently adjust firmness levels to their own liking. Theres also a sleep tracker inside the bed.
Heres how the key components work:
The air chamber allows you to adjust the firmness level of the mattressyour sleep settingsby filling the chamber with more or less air. The settings range from 5 to 100 you can adjust them in increments of 5 using the SleepIQ app on your phone or tablet, or with a remote . With the 360 Smart Beds, the tissue-boxsized pump is incorporated into a base , which pairs with the mattress. If you dont purchase the base, the pump will sit on the floor.
Why You Need A Mattress Foundation
Its tempting to put your new mattress on the ground no need to buy an extra bed frame, foundation, or box spring, right? While its true you can technically put your mattress anywhere, including the floor, an incompatible foundation can decrease your mattresss lifespan or even damage it. Some companies specify the exact type of foundation you should use in their mattress warranty, because using the wrong one can void your warranty protections.
Additionally, mattresses arent universally compatible. For example, a memory foam mattress sitting on the floor could experience restricted airflow, leading you to wake up overheated and uncomfortable. Thats why most brands recommend using their memory foam beds on a platform bed or one with slats no more than 2.75 inches apart . On the other hand, innerspring beds must be used with a box spring to prevent sags.
A good mattress foundation can pull together the aesthetics of your bedroom, too, so its worth finding a high-quality one that also extends the life of your mattress.
Also Check: Sleep Number 360 Limited Edition
Do You Need A Box Spring
For most mattresses, having something between the mattress itself and the floor is helpful. Whether this should be a box spring, a foundation, or a platform bed depends on several factors.
All mattresses will benefit from having a firm, solid foundation to rest on. Box springs were created to help absorb impact, reducing the wear and tear on the mattress. However, box springs were more prevalent when mattresses had much thinner profiles overall, and were primarily innerspring designs. Today, most modern mattresses do not necessarily require a box spring.
Whether or not you should use a box spring depends on a few factors. The main people that should use a box spring include:
- Those using a traditional metal rail bed frame, which is designed to cradle box springs
- Those with an older innerspring mattress designed for use with a box spring
- Those with a mattress whose manufacturer specifically recommends box springs
- Those who want to elevate their bed to make it easier to get in and out of
The main people who should not use a box spring include:
- Those with newer memory foam, latex, or hybrid mattresses
- Those who prefer the style or functionality of a platform bed, wood foundation, or other kind of bed base
- Those who prefer to sleep with a mattress directly on the floor
Foam Densities And Coil Gauges
If you want your mattress to last as long as possible, shop for mattresses with higher, sturdier foam densities when looking at memory foam beds, and thicker coils when browsing for hybrids and innersprings. Measured as pounds per cubic foot, or PCF, a good foam density for memory foam is at least 5 PCF, while for polyfoam it would be around 1.7 PCF at a minimum. For longevity, the right coils on an innerspring or hybrid would be on the thicker range of coil gauge, being at or near a 13-gauge, as these are more durable and firm. When it comes to latex, go for the all-natural models rather than synthetic.
Dont Miss: Whats The Average Size Of A Queen Mattress
Also Check: How Does Your Body Burn Fat While Sleeping
Do All Sleep Number Beds Raise Up
People with back problems or medical issues that require them to sit up at different points love the flexibility of Sleep Number beds. They can adjust the firmness of their bed for a couple of nights if needed and can raise/lower the head of their bed with a FlexFit Adjustable Base depending on their current needs.
How To Choose A Sleep Number Frame For Your Needs
Its clear that you have many different options to provide the correct support for your Sleep Number Bed. Whether you decide to use your own frame and provide added support or buy a new bed, your decision should be based on:
- The ability to provide a proper fit for the bed, and the correct support to avoid voiding the warranty and use the bed as it was designed to be used.
- Your own personal taste and style for home decor and comfort.
Also Check: Can You Lose Weight Not Sleeping
Do You Tend To Sleep Hot
If the response is yes, an innerspring mattress would be an excellent option for you. However, focus on the convenience layer. Choose the models with a latex or gel topper. Memory foam maintains your temperature, which will absolutely keep you sleeping warm.Will you be sharing your bed with a partner?
It would help if you kept in mind that innerspring mattresses are not that good at motion isolation. So, if you are sleeping with a partner, you should get an innerspring mattress with a foam topper. The foam will effectively take in motion while the bed remains helpful, thanks to the coil system below.
How To Choose A Base For Your Sleep Number Mattress
It seems like every Sleep Number product comes with some sort of it factor, whether thats a DualAir chamber that lets you adjust the firmness on your side of the bed, temperature-regulating fabrics that cover your mattress, or a bed base that warms your feet .
The one important thing to note, however, is not all items are sold together. If youre interested in purchasing a Sleep Number bed, the base is always sold separately. Plus, Sleep Number is often best known for pictures that show one half of the bed raised that indeed can happen, but only if you buy a certain type of base, which will make the cost of your bed increase substantially.
There are a handful of Sleep Number bases to choose from. If you dont want to buy from Sleep Number, the company also makes recommendations for other types of bases to use that will adequately support your mattress. Luckily, Sleep Number mattresses come in all standard industry mattress sizes, and will fit into traditional frames, too.
Now, lets break down the types of Sleep Number bases you can purchase alongside your mattress:
Don’t Miss: Sleep Number Friends And Family Coupon
Ratings And Reviews Common Praise
- Couples love being able to personalize the firmness of their side of the bed. The dual air chambers available on most models means that someone who prefers a firmer bed doesnt have to compromise with a partner who likes more cushion. If one person likes to sleep on their side and another doesnt, they have a great solution here.
- People with back problems or medical issues that require them to sit up at different points love the flexibility of Sleep Number beds. They can adjust the firmness of their bed for a couple of nights if needed and can raise/lower the head of their bed with a FlexFit Adjustable Base depending on their current needs.
- There was heavy praise for the longevity and durability of the Sleep Number bed.People came back to Sleep Numbers site to say theyve had their bed for 10+ years and they are still comfortable. Of course, not everyone was able to stay comfortable in their bed for a decade without experiencing issues, but people tended to have their Sleep Number bed for a long time.
RELATED: Best Customizable Mattresses
Editors Choice Sleep Number Flexfit Smart Adjustable Bases
- Material: Not specified
- Available colors: One color only
With the ability to perfectly complement your existing furniture, the FlexFit 1 is the most simple of the ergonomic designs and comes in both Queen and King sizes for even more individualized comfort. This base allows for the head to be lifted to varying degrees to help with snoring, as well as a comfortable back prop when reading or watching television in bed. Many people also like how it can aid in illness or pain support.
The FlexFit 2 adjustable base is one step up from the FlexFit 1, including under-bed lighting to find your way in the dark, as well as an added zero-gravity feature which gives you endless elevation options for your head and feet positions.
The FlexFit 3 is the ultimate adjustable bed base experience that has everything the FlexFit 2 does, plus a massage and foot warming feature. It also includes an integrated under bed light and the ability to plug in and control your bedside lamps for greater visibility when youre getting ready for bed.
- Material: Wooden slats and frames
- Available colors: Rustic pine, natural, antique espresso, cherry
This piece is simple and has an easy slat system or bunkie board addition for your Sleep Number Bed choice. It has a strong support beneath and comes in twin, full, queen and king size choices.
- Very sturdy, mattress does not slip
- Extra slats can be added to raise weight limit, or increase overall firmness
Also Check: Sit And Sleep Customer Service Number
How To Buy A Mattress For A Trundle Bed
When it comes to buying a trundle mattress it is not as hard as some may think. There are some limitations when it comes to the thickness and dimensions of a trundle mattress. When you choose a mattress for your trundle bed, it is best to make sure the mattress is thinner than a standard mattress. This is so that if can fit snuggly underneath the top mattress.
A trundle bed serves the following people:
- Children: For any sleepovers that you may have. Some children may also need a trundle bed if they are having a hard time transitioning from a crib or toddler bed.
- Teens: Can be used as a place for their friends to have a thinking space or to take naps on them without invading the privacy of the main bed.
- Guests: For those that need a place to sit or lay, a daybed is a great medium for both options.
One downside to a trundle bed is that even though it is the lower bed, it sits basically on the ground. The mattress can be less supportive than a standard mattress because of how thin it needs to be. It is not recommended for use if you have back problems or are elderly.
However, there are some trundle beds that can pop up, this will allow them to be the same height as the main bed. It will require you to lock the trundle bed into place so that it will not collapse. The only con is that the trundle bed will be a different thickness than the main bed.
Do Sleep Number Beds Go On Sale
Sleep Number bedssalegoSelecting The Most Comfortable Mattress In The World
- Hybrid Mattress Nest Alexander.
- Best Soft Foam Mattress The Casper.
- Most Comfortable Memory Foam Mattress Layla Sleep.
- Pillow Top Option Brentwood Oceano.
- Best For Heavier Individuals WinkBed.
- Good Pick For Hot Sleepers Purple.
Recommended Reading: Sit N Sleep Mattress Stores
Can You Adjust A Sleep Number Bed On A Platform Bed
Due to the demand for smart beds like those offered by Sleep Number, there are platform beds in the market that are ergonomically designed to accommodate adjusting a Sleep Number bed. It might not be point-and-click easy, but the innovation potentially eliminates the challenges of working around a flat-surfaced bed frame.
Casper Bed Review Summary
The Most Common Positive Comments on Casper Memory Foam Beds
78% of Casper mattress reviews by Amazon customers gave it five stars. The most common reasons for those were:
- Great bed for the price
- Comfortable and supportive
- Free pickup if you decide to return it
Other mattress reviewers have mentioned:
- Very few off-gassing complaints
- Great if you like a medium-firm mattress
The Most Common Negative Comments
4% of reviewers on Amazon gave the Casper mattress only one star and the main reason for that was that they found it too firm.
They described it as sleeping on a floor, a brick, or a concrete block. Quite often these are people who weigh less than other buyers. Or side sleepers.
It takes getting used to, but, if you havent been able to do that in two weeks, you probably dont need to wait out the 100-day return policy to find out its not for you. Return promptly.
- Some owners report off-gassing.
- Other mattress reviewers have mentioned that there is only one model of the mattress.
Read more reviews and to check to see if they’re running a good sale today for your size at this Amazon link: Casper Sleep Mattress.
Don’t Miss: Afternoon Sleep Is Good Or Bad For Weight Loss
Level & Flat Sleep Surface
About 20% of Sleep Number bed owners report a problem with the middle of the bed where the two air chambers meet.
Some owners say there is a valley or trench in the middle, while others report a hump. There also can be a problem with one or both sides of the bed sloping toward the middle which can cause a sleeper to roll or slide in that direction.
The middle area may be uncomfortable to lie on, and it can be less than friendly for intimate activities, including cuddling, spooning and sex.
Sleep Number customer service may have solutions to problems with the middle, such as a lift which is a piece of foam that is placed under the air chambers to raise the middle.
Problems with the middle of the bed tend to be reported mainly by owners who use very different firmness settings for each side of the bed, such as 90-20. It may also be a problem when both sides use a very low or very high firmness setting.