The Sleep Number 360 Smart Bed Performance Series
The Performance Series is slightly plusher than the Classic Series. The p5 and cooling pSE each have 4 inches of cushioning, for a total height of 10 inches. The p6, the companys most popular mattress, has an additional inch of cushioning, for an overall thickness of 11 inches.
Compared with the beds in the Classic line and the Performance lines p5, the p6 felt like a real mattress, the kind with a surface thats adequately cushioned for people who are not particularly high-maintenance. But when I tried the p6 at home, I couldnt shake the feeling that I was sleeping on a rubber raft. The 5 inches of foam wasnt enough for me to nestle into, even with a softer air-bladder setting. Letting out air offered more give, but then the bed didnt feel as supportive, and it still didnt feel fluffy, per se.
I was left feeling adrift, but my husband, by contrast, loved sleeping on the p6. For once, instead of compromising on my medium-soft-mattress preferences, he could sleep on a firm mattress next to me. It was a sad day for him when we returned this mattress.
The pSE wasnt available to try at the store when I visited, but Sleep Numbers publicist said it has proprietary ClimaTemp foam that is softer and more plush than whats typically used on the p series. Unfortunately, were not sure exactly how this technology works because Sleep Number doesnt share details about its foam.
Sleep Number Beds For Back Pain
Sleep Number beds are also a big hit among people who usually feel lower or upper back pain in the morning. Side sleepers who experience this kind of pain typically assume a fetal position with pillows between their knees to minimize pressure around the hip and back area, while setting the firmness to their preferred range. The Coop Home Goods Premium Adjustable Loft Pillow is perfect for support. Like the Sleep Number bed, you can adjust it to your liking.
Meanwhile, for stomach sleepers, placing a soft pillow under the lower abdomen or the pelvis area can decrease pressure in your stomach and back.
Back sleepers are advised to place a soft pillow in the lower back or under the knees. If the discomfort isnt alleviated, it is best to increase the Sleep Number to around five to ten points.
Selecting A Bed And Preparing For Delivery
If you’re seriously considering getting a 360 Smart Bed, I strongly suggest speaking with one of the company’s Sleep Professionals, who can assess your needs, give you a rundown of the different models and features, and help you pick the best model for you.
Sleep Number’s beds are expensive, but the company often runs promotions, so wait for a deal if you can. At the time of this writing, it’s offering $800 off 360 Smart Beds as part of a fall sale. The company also occasionally waives its $199 premium delivery and setup fee, which is otherwise required with the purchase of any 360 Smart Bed.
To make the cost more manageable, Sleep Number offers financing options through Synchrony Financial starting at $45 per month. For peace of mind, the company also offers a 100-night trial and a 15-year limited warranty.
Before receiving my review unit, I was a little nervous about whether it would work with my current bed frame, and I’m happy to report that it does. The FlexFit base needs to sit directly on the floor, but in many cases, can be dropped into your existing bed frame, as is the case with my setup. Sleep Number says it won’t work with platform furniture and frames with under-bed storage.
The bottom of the base
You May Like: Does Sleeping In The Cold Help Lose Weight
The Innovation Series Contains The Following Sleep Number Technology:
- Dual Adjustability, meaning you can adjust your SleepNumber® setting on each side of the mattress if you sleep with a partner
- Responsive Air technology, which automatically and effortlessly adjusts comfort to each of you as you sleep
- SleepIQ® technology, which tracks how youre sleeping, so you know how your day affects your night and pairs to a smartphone app
- Superior pressure-relief described as our most luxurious pressure-relieving comfort layers
- Temperature Balancing, which absorbs excess heat and releases it as you get cool, so you can sleep just right
Sleep Number Bed: What Do The Numbers Mean
Select Comfort, the makers of Sleep Number, had adjustable and customized comfort in mind when they created Sleep Number beds. One of the main benefits of a Sleep Number bed is that people can sleep on a mattress that fits their precise level or cushion and support. This can still be the case even if that level changes frequently or if people sleep with a partner whose idea of comfort differs from theirs.
The Sleep Number 360 p5 is part of the company’s Performance Series and is comfortable, supportive, and adjustable. Click the button for $500 off!
Also Check: Why Have I Started Peeing In My Sleep
A Smarter Night’s Sleep
The Sleep Number 360 i8 Smart Bed keeps your body cool thanks to its temperature-balancing sleep surface, while the FlexFit 3 base warms your feet with a built-in heater. Its excellent SleepIQ companion app allows for truly customizable comfort, letting you adjust the firmness and the position of the mattress to suit your preferences. It tracks your sleep health and biometrics, and offers useful tips to help improve your shut eye. Priced at $6,198 for the mattress and base configuration we tested, it will put a dent in your bank account, but a good night’s rest is crucial for health, and the Sleep Number i8 makes every night a dream, earning it our Editors’ Choice award.
If a Sleep Number is out of your budget, however, the Eight Sleep Pod Pro Mattress looks to be a promising alternative. It isn’t adjustable like a Sleep Number, but it tracks similar sleep and health metrics, supports dual-zone heating and cooling, and can vibrate to wake you up without disturbing your partner. We haven’t tested it yet, but an older Eght Sleep model scored well, and at half the price of the Sleep Number, it’s worth a look.
Keeps Your Feet Warm And Your Body Cool
If you’re always cold, you’re probably going to want the FlexFit 3 for its signature foot-warming feature, which isn’t available on the company’s other adjustable bases. As its name suggests, this feature warms just the foot end of the bed. It takes around 15 to 30 minutes to heat up. “Research has shown that having your feet gently warmed may help you fall asleep faster,” Sleep Number says.
With a dual-chamber mattress, you can individually control this feature on each side, so one person can have the foot warmer turned on and the other can have it turned off.
In testing, this feature has worked wonderfully. I have it set to High, and it gets toasty but not too hot. My one gripe is that you can only enable this feature as part of a Routine in the SleepIQ app. And since it’s only available in the Routines section of the Bed tab, it’s a bit hard to find.
To enable it, navigate to Bed > View Routines > Create a New Schedule. From there, you can select certain days of the week, set your bedtime, and set the foot warming temperature . After creating your Routine, the foot warmer will turn on 30 minutes before your bedtime, so it’s ready when you hop in. As you fall asleep, it will automatically cool down.
If you want to turn it on outside of your normal bedtime, you have to create a new Routine, which is sort of a hassle. I wish there was a button in the app to let you turn it on and off whenever you want.
Also Check: How Often Do Sleep Number Beds Go On Sale
First Impression: How Does It Feel
What is fantastic about this bed is the firmness is fully adjustable. Embedded sensors in the air chamber allow this product to detect the weight of your body as you rest, and it automatically adjusts the firmness dependent on your liking and sleeping position.
This bed can do it all with its air chambers, whether you prefer firmer support or soft pressure relief, letting you find just the right type of comfort.
Common Praise: What Makes These Mattresses Stand Out
- For many, the Responsive Air technology is a nice benefit. One buyer wrote, The bed also takes any pressure away while I sleep! Great technologies!
- Those with adjustable bases enjoy being able to sleep with their head and/or feet elevated. I am sleeping better because of head elevation. It helps me breathe better and sleep more restful, one review says.
- Some people like the app that accompanies the mattresses and the data it collects about their sleep. The two best features we like are the ability to use different sleep settings and in the morning comparing our sleep quality stats, one review says.
Don’t Miss: Best Organic Mattress Side Sleeper
Is The Sleep Number 360 I8 Smart Bed Right For You
Now that weve discussed all the pros, cons, and in-betweens of the Sleep Number 360® I8, here are the main reasons this model might be a great option for you.
- You sleep hot. Sleep Number 360® I8s temperature-regulating technology is a great feature, designed to pull heat away from your body and keep you comfortable all night long. If you find yourself getting super hot and retaining heat throughout the night, this could be a great feature for you to stay cool.
- You have money to spend.This bed is definitely an investment. They start at over $3,000, and this does not include a base.
- You love geeking out on data.The 360® I8 smart bed comes with a lot of features, all of which are supposed to help you sleep better. Youre paying for the tech though, so this bed is especially great for folks who appreciate how technology can potentially enhance the sleep experience.
- Youre a back sleeper. If you sleep on your back, the Sleep Number 360® I8 sounds like a viable option, providing the right balance of plushness and support for the spine. A lot of people with back injuries said the bed did a good job at supporting them, partially due to the 7 zones of contouring support feature.
Sleep Number 360 M7 Smart Mattress
The Sleep Number 360 m7 is the only Sleep Number model to feature a memory foam layer. The m7 memory foam comfort layer is 5″ thick and offers both the contouring and pressure-relieving qualities that most sleepers expect to feel with memory foam.
The only Sleep Number model exclusively featuring a memory foam layer is the Sleep Number 360 m7. The m7 memory foam comfort layer is 5 inches thick. You should feel both the contouring and pressure-relieving qualities that most expect to feel with memory foam. This layer also works to keep you cool since it absorbs heat and then releases it when you grow too cool.
Also Check: Sleep Number Store Greensboro Nc
The Sleep Number 360 Smart Bed Classic Series
The under-$1,500 Classic Series is Sleep Numbers entry-level offering, and the mattresses in this line sure feel like it. The 8-inch c2 reminds me of a dormitory bednot surprising, since it contains only 2 inches of foam the rest of the mattress is made up of air encased in the bladder. The c4 has an inch more foam, for a total of 9 inches, and feels only slightly less institutional theres nothing cuddly about it. Unless youre used to sleeping on a mat or you plan on springing for a good mattress topper, we dont recommend this series.
In 2020, Sleep Number updated its 360 Smart Beds, adding temperature-balancing featuresincluding high air-flow fabrics and gel materialsmeant to make the mattresses feel cooler and more breathable.
Sleep Number Mattress Delivery
Your new bed will be delivered to your door by Sleep Numbers home delivery technicians. Sleep Number recommends waiting to remove your old mattress until your new one has actually arrived. Premium delivery and setup is available for Sleep Member customers for certain products in certain areas. Delivery technicians may also examine the sleep surface for bed bugs.
Read Also: 24 Hour Sleep Wake Disorder
Sleep Trial And Returns
One of the main reasons that buying online is different from in-store is that you dont have the ability to lie down on the bed before making your purchase. Instead, you have a sleep trial during which you can use the mattress at home with the option to return it for a refund.
Most customers appreciate an in-home sleep trial because they can test out the mattress in real-world conditions for an extended time. This gives a clearer sense of whether a mattress works for you than just feeling it out for 15 minutes in a mattress store. During the trial, you can return the mattress if you arent satisfied, and that usually entails the company sending someone to pick it up from your home.
Both Tempur-Pedic and Sleep Number provide a sleep trial with their mattresses.
- Tempur-Pedic gives customers 90 nights to try the mattress at home. You are required to keep the mattress for 30 nights before initiating a return. If you decide that you dont want to keep it, there is a $175 charge for return shipping.
- Sleep Number gives customers 100 nights for a sleep trial and requires that you keep it for 30 nights before initiating a return. The return shipping charge for Sleep Number beds ranges from $199 to $249.
What Type Of Sleep Number Frames Do These Mattresses Work With
You can purchase beds and frames that work with the Sleep Number 360 Smart Beds directly from Sleep Number. You are not required to use Sleep Numbers modular or adjustable bases with your Sleep Number mattress, but you do need a flat and sturdy surface to place the mattress on, so you dont risk voiding your mattress warranty.
Sleep Number mattresses come in all standard industry mattress sizes and will fit into traditional frames and furniture sets, the Sleep Number website explains.
Per the website, the Sleep Number® Integrated Base works with your existing bed furniture and any decor to provide a firm, level surface for your mattress. The modern, clean lines add a premium feel to any décor. Designed specifically for the Sleep Number 360® smart bed, it coordinates with the mattress and holds the Firmness Control system with one plug into a wall outlet.
On the FlexFit 1 adjustable base , you can:
- Raise the head of your bed to read, watch TV, or sleep in ideal comfort
- Adjust your beds firmness and elevation with the touch of a button
Theres a FlexFit 2 adjustable base with the following technology:
- Partner Snore technology, which lets you gently raise your partners head if they are snoring
- Zero gravity technology, which raises the head and foot of the bed in a way that leaves you feeling weightless
- The option to adjust your beds firmness and elevation at the touch of a button
- A timer feature that returns you to your favorite sleeping position
You May Like: Will Breathe Right Strips Help Sleep Apnea
Sleep Number Bed Weight
Although the Sleep Number bed weight limit is quite high, it is relatively lighter than conventional mattresses. This is because the mattress is significantly composed of air. Depending on the bed size, Sleep Number mattresses weigh between 37 lbs to 120 lbs. Because of its low Sleep Number bed weight and the convenient assembly and disassembly of its parts, it is also easier to handle, transport, and move around.
What To Look Forward To
In 2022, Sleep Number is releasing its Climate 360 Smart Bed, which is said to be responsive to both temperature and firmness preferences. The company says the bed will have sensors to measure sleep-tracking data like your heart, heart-rate variability, and breathing rate. Among other features, the mattress will automatically adjust firmness in response to your movements, and warm or cool the bed based on your body temperature. Sleep Number also now offers a kids bed.
Further reading on mattresses
Read Also: Where Is Sleep Number Located
Common Complaints And Other Things To Note
- Some buyers say the technology is prone to malfunctioning. One reviewer wrote, It seems the sensors dont work well the sleep tracker shows us in bed sometimes when we werent in bed. Another wrote, I gave this lower rating due to the night light coming on and off by itself during the day and night not even when I am near the bedthe app on the phone needs some more work.
- For some reviewers, the mattresses are not thick enough and feel uncomfortable particularly the c2 and c4 . If are on the heavier side I suggest getting a thicker mattress, one review says.
- People on the larger mattresses say the middle of the bed is uncomfortable. I tend to roll in the gap between both mattress air pillows on my queen size bed and dont quite have the same support, one buyer wrote.
RELATED: Best Sleep Number Bed Alternatives
All About Sleep Number Settings
Like I mentioned above, you can adjust your mattress to the exact firmness you need, which means youll end up with a specific number between 1-100. Sleep Number calls this, unsurprisingly, your Sleep Number. A Sleep Setting of 1 would be incredibly soft and 100 would feel like sleeping on a floor. Most people have a Sleep Number between 30-60.
All of this works thanks to Sleep Numbers Firmness Control System, which includes the remote, air hose, and pump. In most cases, if you have aQueen-sized bed or larger, then youll have two separate air chambers and you and your partner can adjust each side to your personal preference. If your model has a Double-size option, then you can choose if youd like your bed to have one or two air chambers. There will also be a hose that passes through the opening of the mattress cover, which connects to the air chamber. It stays happily hidden inside the mattress, with access through the zippered opening.
You can find your Sleep Number setting at any retail Sleep Number store, or you can do it yourself at home. If youre finding it at home, here are the steps you should follow:
Lie down. Get into bed and lie down on your side. Make sure your pillows are propped as they would if you were actually sleeping
Find your setting.
If you have your remote:
- Press the Home button
- Use the up and down arrows to explore the different settings
If youre in the SleepIQ® app:
Also Check: Credit Score Needed For Sleep Number Financing