Can A Mattress Cause Back Pain
If a mattress allows the lower back to sink below the optimum level for lumbar support, it may cause or worsen back pain.
Anyone experiencing back pain should see a doctor. Regardless of whether it originates in the lower, middle, or upper back, this pain may indicate serious underlying health issues. Healthcare providers can also give suggestions for alleviating pain.
Ratings And Reviews Common Praise
- Couples love being able to personalize the firmness of their side of the bed. The dual air chambers available on most models means that someone who prefers a firmer bed doesnt have to compromise with a partner who likes more cushion. If one person likes to sleep on their side and another doesnt, they have a great solution here.
- People with back problems or medical issues that require them to sit up at different points love the flexibility of Sleep Number beds. They can adjust the firmness of their bed for a couple of nights if needed and can raise/lower the head of their bed with a FlexFit Adjustable Base depending on their current needs.
- There was heavy praise for the longevity and durability of the Sleep Number bed.People came back to Sleep Numbers site to say theyve had their bed for 10+ years and they are still comfortable. Of course, not everyone was able to stay comfortable in their bed for a decade without experiencing issues, but people tended to have their Sleep Number bed for a long time.
RELATED: Best Customizable Mattresses
Most Popular Sleep Number Beds
The most popular beds in the Sleep Number brand are the Classic 360® c2 and the Innovation 360® i8 Smart Bed. The first makes the list because it offers a lot of design for the price. The second does because it has every Sleep Number bell and whistle they offer.
The Classic 360® c2 is the baseline model among all Sleep Number 360 beds. No fancy foam layers. No expensive base. Just 2 inches of fabric and foam on top of the eponymous, adjustable air chamber that basically makes a Sleep Number bed. Its affordable for a Sleep Number mattress and you can still adjust ho firm it feels. Its a budget option, but one with the most attractive mattress feature Sleep Number sells.
The Innovation 360® Smart Bed i8 is 12 inches thick with a soft and breathable fabric cover. The 6-inch comfort layer in the i8 uses two different types of foam for support and pressure relief. There is also a special material in the surface of the mattress that releases heat so the mattress keeps its cool. This bed has the dual air chambers that you can adjust to find the right firmness, SleepIQ® tracking, the temperature-balancing surface and the Responsive Air® feature that will add or release air as you shift at night to make the bed more comfortable.
You May Like: St Vincent Sleep Center Evansville In
Leesa With Adjustable Base
An incredible choice for hot, back and side sleepers, theLeesa with Adjustable Base is a popular and comfortable all-foam mattress. It brings with it an excellent balance of support and comfort making it a highly versatile choice for various types of sleepers.
Although it is all foam, it does a remarkable job of sleeping cool. Leesa utilizes a proprietary and high-quality LSA200 foam on its top comfort layer. The material is simultaneously responsive, breathable, bouncy and soft.
Under the top layer of foam is another one featuring slower-moving memory foam for more body contouring. The comfort layers are handy in creating a balanced foam feel that’s responsive and soft for the utmost pressure relief without getting stuck in the mattress.
While the memory foam and LSA200 foam is soft, its support layer is extremely firm making the mattress not-too-soft and not-too-firm.
Back sleeping on the mattress gives users a balance of support and comfort while the bottom base foam layer offers excellent overall support.
In terms of cover, the mattress has a breathable and soft cover made of twill fabric.
Skip Sleep Number M7 If
- You want to keep things simple. The m7 model requires the use of either the Sleep IQÂ® mobile app or Sleep Number remote to control the firmness level. If you aren’t particularly tech saavy, this might not be the right choice for you.
- You’re on a budget. While not the most expensive Sleep Number model available, it certainly isn’t cheap. The addition of memory foam and cooling capabilities make this a great investment for some! If you’re looking to spend $1000 or less, this isn’t the right mattress for you.
Read Also: Why Do Babies Cry In Sleep
Sleep Number Mattresses Pros And Cons
In a sense, Sleep Number mattresses are just like any other: The top section is the comfort layer, while the bottom section provides support.
But instead of using layers of supportive foam or an innerspring system, the bottom portion of a Sleep Number mattress features an adjustable air chamber. It can be inflated or deflated to your preferred level of firmness.
Unfortunately, Sleep Number doesnt disclose what the comfort layer is made of. Reviewers describe it as cushiony but not necessarily plush. Some Sleep Number mattresses have thicker comfort layers.
The Sleep Number Innovation Series
The Innovation Series is Sleep Numbers highest-end, plushest line. Although these mattresses arguably dont feel as plush as most foam or innerspring mattresses of similar price, the beds in this line actually feel like nice mattresses. If I were set on a Sleep Number mattress and could afford to do so, Id spend more for the Innovation lines added cushioning. But for someone like my husband, who just wants something adjustable and comfortable enough to sleep on, a less-expensive p6 would do just fine.
The i8 comes with 6 inches of foam and a temperature-balancing surface , and it felt pleasantly pillowy. The i10, with its additional inch of foam, was just a tad fluffier. Like the pSE from the companys Performance line, the iLE is not a typical fixture in-store, and it, too, has the ClimaTemp foam, described by the company as softer and more cooling.
Read Also: Sleep Number King Size Adjustable Mattress
Most Common Pieces Of Praise
- Couples and partners seem to love Sleep Number beds for their dual air chambers and ability to adjust the firmness to your desire. It appears to still be the case with the M-7 and couples who like memory foam like this mattress as well.
- People who wanted a mattress with the intention to help relieve pressure in certain areas of the body like back and hips were satisfied with this mattress. They liked how the memory foam contoured to their body but they could still adjust the level of support.
Sleep Number 360 I8 Smart Bed
- Price: $$$
- Type: adjustable air bed
- Height: 12 inches
Sleep Number says their Innovation Series provides contouring and temperature control. It has a 6-inch comfort layer and fabric thats designed to absorb excess heat and keep you cool all night.
But the comfort comes at a price. This line is the most expensive of Sleep Numbers mattresses, and thats before you start upgrading.
The i8 Smart Bed has a lot of reviews: more than 26,000, with an overall rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars. More than 22,000 reviewers give it 5 stars. Many reviewers love the upgraded features, which add over $2,000 to the price tag.
Recommended Reading: Sleeping In Cold Room Lose Weight
Sleep Number 360 P5 Smart Bed
- Price: $$
- Type: adjustable air bed
- Height: 10 inches
Designed for pressure relief, the p5 Smart Bed has a 4-inch comfort layer that contours to your body. It has all the same adjustable features as other Sleep Number mattresses.
Close to 12,000 reviews rate this mattress 4.7 out of 5 stars. Again, over 9,000 of these reviews are 5 stars. Reviewers praise the mattresss comfort and adjustability.
Unhappy customers describe the mattress as noisy and uncomfortable.
Isnt It Just Memory Foam The Difference Between Tempurpedic And Memory Foam Mattresses
You may think this sounds like a memory foam mattress for unfamiliar people who have never tried a Tempurpedic mattress. In the simplest form, they are very similar. Still, in order to discuss the benefits of investing in a Tempurpedic mattress, we thought wed take a look at the differences so that you understand what you are looking at.
Also Check: Where To Buy A Wyoming King Bed
Also Check: Randomly Peed In My Sleep
Best For Pressure Relief: Tempur
Tempur-Pedic made its debut into with the Tempur-Cloud memory foam mattress. This all-foam bed is made with a special type of Tempur-foam that contours along your hips and shoulders, melting away pressure and strain. Pressure relief is key for those who suffer from hip and shoulder pain, but for a less expensive alternative, the Cocoon Chill stacks up pretty nicely.
Related: These are the best mattresses in a box
Sealys Cocoon Chill mattress is another memory foam be that scored high in relieving pressure points at the shoulders and hips. Its stretchy cover creates a more responsive surface, while three dense layers of foam work to keep you cushioned and comfortable all night long. Plus, you can pick from two firmness levels, extra firm and medium soft, while the Tempur-Cloud is only available in a medium-firm feel. And, at $930 for a queen size bed, its half the price of the Tempur-Cloud.
- Mattress type: Memory foam w/ TEMPUR foam
- Firmness: Medium-firm
- Best for: All sleep positions
Tempur-Cloud, $1,999 for a Queen, tempurpedic.com
Cocoon Chill, $930 for a Queen, cocoonbysealy.com
Sleep Number Series/model Breakdown
Sleep Number offers two types of beds:
- 360® Smart Beds
- Value Beds
The 360® Smart Beds are organized into three categories: Classic, Performance, and Innovation.
Each series essentially builds off the other. The Classic Series beds, the C2, and C4 offer the most standard options while the Innovation Series has the largest, thickest layers and most added features.
The Classic series models are the most basic mattresses. They will have the firmest feel to them because there is the least amount of layers between the air chamber and the top of the mattress.
|72 x 84||split only at the head of the bed|
The Split and FlexTop mattresses are best paired with a FlexFit Adjustable Base. For example, with a Split King, the sleeper can raise/lower just the head and feet of his or her side of the bed. If the persons partner is snoring, he or she could raise the head of just their side with a FlexTop.
Don’t Miss: Apple Watch Stuck In Sleep Mode
Is A Sleep Number Mattress Worth The Price
Sleep Number mattresses are pricier than many nonadjustable mattresses. Youll pay about $899 to $4,299 for a queen-size mattress.
Still, many reviewers seem to feel that theyre worth the price. Happy customers report that they love being able to adjust the feel of the mattress just to their liking.
Sleep Number Mattress Pricing
Sleep Number mattresses fall into the luxury mattress category. Website pricing for queen mattresses is $899 to $4,299, depending on the model. These prices dont include optional upgrades, like regular or adjustable bases.
Sleep Number mattresses are generally comparable to other luxury mattresses. A queen-size Sleep Number 360 pSE Smart Bed with an adjustable base, under-bed lighting, and a foot-warming feature is $5,198 before tax and shipping. Thats about the same price as a Tempur-Pedic mattress with similar options and upgrades.
You May Like: Sleep Number Store Waco Tx
The Best Mattresses For Back Pain 2022
We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Heres our process.
Back pain can negatively affect sleep quality. Choosing a mattress to suit an individuals sleep preferences may help prevent aches and pain. The best mattress for relieving back pain will adjust to pressure points and support spinal alignment.
Choosing a mattress to prevent and relieve back pain can help improve sleep quality and decrease aches and pains. Read on to learn more.
What Are Foam Density Ratings
We all learned about density during elementary school science class, but we probably never thought about how it applies to a bed.
As a quick review, density is a measurement of how heavy it is compared to its size. A truckload of feathers, for example, will weigh less than a truck full of steel. Thats because feathers are less dense than steel.
For you visual learners, its represented by the equation: Density = Mass/Volume
Most things have density measurements or ratings, including memory foam, which is sometimes referred to as viscoelastic foam.
For memory foam, the manufacturer takes a piece of foam thats one cubic foot. The measurements are 12 inches x 12 inches x 12 inches. Then they weigh it. At the low end of the spectrum, a cubic foot of memory foam will have a rating of 1.5, meaning it weighs 1.5 pounds per cubic square foot. The densest varieties have a rating of 8.0 or 8 pounds per cubic square foot.
Recommended Reading: Sleep And Lung Clinic Of Utah
Variacool Memory Foam Mattress Layer
The VariaCool Memory Foam Mattress Layer from Sleep Number makes an already good night’s sleep – great. The foam does a great job of providing temperature regulation along with some added padding for Sleep Number mattresses. The price is a little high but the investment is well worth it.
- DESIGN100 %
- User Ratings 0 %
A Quick Look At The 13 Best Mattresses For Back Pain:
- Best soft mattress for back pain:Purple Hybrid Premier 4
- Best for combination sleepers with back pain: Puffy Lux Hybrid
- Best copper-infused mattress for back pain: Nectar Premier Copper
- Best cooling mattress for back pain: GhostBed Luxe
- Best mattress for lower back pain: Leesa Legend
- Best mattress for heavy sleepers with back pain: Amerisleep AS5
- Best mattress for those with limited mobility: DreamCloud Luxury Hybrid
- Best affordable mattress for back pain: Saatva Classic
You May Like: Rooms To Go Sleeper Chair
You Might Want To Consider This Mattress If:
- You Like Memory Foam.With 4 of gel memory foam in between you and the air chambers in the M-7 bed, you really need to enjoy sleeping on memory foam before you consider this mattress. One Customer Service representative told me that the M-7 is usually only recommended for people who sleep on memory foam and who are looking to make it adjustable .
- You Are A Hot Sleeper.The 4 of exclusive memory foam features CoolFit gel technology for a cool sleep surface. This layer resides above the air chambers so it will be felt underneath the mattress top. Be careful about adding additional mattress pads/toppers as they may lessen the benefits of this technology.
How To Find A Good Mattress On A Budget
Sure, you can spend several thousands of dollars on a new mattress, but if your budget doesnt allow you to buy the Tempur-Pedic model you want, consider one of our Tempur-Pedic alternatives. And if youre not in a hurry, hold off on waiting until its the best time to buy a mattress, like a holiday weekend, Cyber Monday, or Amazon Prime Day. Online mattress companies often offer deeper discounts during those times.
When browsing different mattresses, you may be unsure of how much you need to spend to get a quality bed. While mattress prices can range anywhere from a couple hundred bucks to thousands of dollars, its important to know that buying a mattress is also an investment in your sleep, and a durable, high-quality mattress usually starts at $800 for a Queen.
The affordable dupes we outlined offer a nice balance of budget-friendliness and quality materials, but other mattresses that are priced even cheaper dont always hold up in the long run. So be wary of super inexpensive mattresses if you plan on using your bed for the next 5-10 years.
- Thickness: 8 inches
- Firmness: Medium/Firm
- Brief overview: This is a memory foam mattress with a copper-infused gel that is said to provide cooler sleep. Its a good choice both for those who prefer firm mattresses and for those who like medium mattresses because its flippable with a soft side and a medium-firm side . Its a comfortable, cool, and not that expensive Tempurpedic-like mattress.
Pros and cons
You May Like: When You Sleep Do You Burn Calories
Construction And Materials Comparison
The construction of a mattress is of central importance to its feel, performance, and durability. The construction includes both the design of its layers and the actual materials used in those layers.
In general, a mattress can be understood as having two main sections:
- The comfort system is the top part and offers the most immediate effect on feel. It is normally made of polyfoam, memory foam, latex, wool, cotton, and/or polyester.
- The support core is the bottom part of the mattress. It affects the mattress feel and the performance of the comfort system. The support core also helps prevent against excessive sagging in the mattress. It can be made with polyfoam, latex, innerspring coils, or air chambers.
Both the comfort system and support core can be made up of one or more layers that can be the same or different materials. Quality components in each and every layer will help protect against a weak link that drags down the overall mattress performance.
The following sections give an overview of the construction and materials in the Tempur-Pedic and Sleep Number beds. While we know the basics about what goes into them, neither company discloses all the specifications of their mattresses, which can at times make it difficult to fully compare their models.