Can I Use An L& p Adjustable Bed Base With My Existing Bedroom Furniture
Yes. Leggett & Platt adjustable bases are designed according to industry-standard bed sizes. The base easily attaches to most standard-size headboards and footboards with the addition of a boxspring frame. Even if your bed has side rails, the base is meant to fit inside most of these pieces, similar to a standard boxspring. Additionally, you might want to check out our photo gallery to see how L& P adjustable bases integrate with a wide range of bedroom furniture.
Tips For Getting A Good Night’s Sleep
Getting enough sleep is good for your health. Here are a few tips to improve your sleep:
Set a schedule go to bed and wake up at the same time each day.
Exercise 20 to 30 minutes a day but no later than a few hours before going to bed.
Avoid caffeine and nicotine late in the day and alcoholic drinks before bed.
Relax before bed try a warm bath, reading, or another relaxing routine.
Create a room for sleep avoid bright lights and loud sounds, keep the room at a comfortable temperature, and dont watch TV or have a computer in your bedroom.
Dont lie in bed awake. If you cant get to sleep, do something else, like reading or listening to music, until you feel tired.
See a doctor if you have a problem sleeping or if you feel unusually tired during the day. Most sleep disorders can be treated effectively.
The Sleep Number 360 Smart Bed Classic Series
The under-$1,500 Classic Series is Sleep Numbers entry-level offering, and the mattresses in this line sure feel like it. The 8-inch c2 reminds me of a dormitory bednot surprising, since it contains only 2 inches of foam the rest of the mattress is made up of air encased in the bladder. The c4 has an inch more foam, for a total of 9 inches, and feels only slightly less institutional theres nothing cuddly about it. Unless youre used to sleeping on a mat or you plan on springing for a good mattress topper, we dont recommend this series.
In 2020, Sleep Number updated its 360 Smart Beds, adding temperature-balancing featuresincluding high air-flow fabrics and gel materialsmeant to make the mattresses feel cooler and more breathable.
Also Check: How Can I Lose Weight While Sleeping
Why You Should Trust Us
As a senior staff writer at Wirecutter, Ive spent over two years covering sleep and mattresses. Im the author of Wirecutters mattress buying guide, foam mattress guide, innerspring mattress guide, and sleep tracker guide. Ive slept on dozens of different mattresses at home, sampled dozens more in-store, visited mattress factories, and attended mattress trade shows. Ive also spent countless hours interviewing dozens of sleep and mattress experts about good sleep hygiene, pressure-point relief, and proper spinal alignment in bed. For this guide, I made two visits to the Sleep Number store in New York City to try its offerings. I also slept on the Sleep Number 360 p6 in my home for about three weeks.
Sleep Number Adjustable Bed
The adjustable Sleep Number bed comes in different sizes to match the mattress that you have, including adjustable legs to add or reduce the height of your bed as you see fit. The sizes available for purchase are Twin, Full, Queen, King, and California King. If you check out the Sleep Number store, you will find that they are offering the FlexFit Adjustable Base which comes in three variations:
- FlexFit 1. The key feature of the FlexFit 1 is that it comes with smartphone compatibility, where you can pre-program your adjustable bed frames using your handheld device. There are numerous positions to choose from, plus it comes with their patented, Partner Snore Technology where the sleeping position of your snoring partner can be adjusted without waking them up. Also, this Sleep Number adjustable bed comes with under-bed lighting, so in case you need to go to the bathroom at night, you will not stumble around.
- FlexFit 2. This FlexFit adjustable Sleep Number has the same features as the previous one however, this option is equipped with numerous head and foot positions.
- FlexFit 3. What makes this FlexFit stand apart from the first two is that it now comes with a foot warming option which can help you fall asleep faster.
Read Also: Healthy Sleep Cool Tech Advanced Mattress Protector
Which Bed Frames Can You Use With A Sleep Number Bed
Sleep Number beds rely on technology to give you the best possible nights sleep. However, if you dont put your mattress on an appropriate foundation it wont be able to perform the way that its supposed to.
Bed frames with solid plywood foundations are acceptable options that will not void the Sleep Number warranty.
You can also use it directly on the floor, but few people in the western world will consider this, although it would save some money
TIP: If you want your Sleep Number mattress to be able to raise the head, feet, or both, then you may consider purchasing one of the companys adjustable bed frames.TIP: The salesperson whos selling you a Sleep Number mattress will try to talk you into buying one of their frames, but you absolutely dont have to.As long as you take careful measurements, you may even be able to use your existing platform bed frame without any issues.
Sleep Number Settings For Back Pain
Because there are numerous personal reasons for back pain, there is no one-size-fits-all setting to fix back pain in Sleep Number beds. That being said, Sleep Number has several ideas available on their website. Most of these adjustments are based on ones sleeping position.
Here is an image from Sleep Number with recommendations for adjustments based on Upper and Lower back pain:
Read Also: Do Sleep Number Beds Get Mold
Sleep Number Mattress Vs Alternative Mattresses
Sleep Number Mattresses are a popular choice for shoppers looking for customized comfort. With firmness adjustability and 11 mattress models, there is a fit for every person and sleep position.
But there are reasons that some consumers are looking elsewhere, such as
- Cost savings: Sleep number mattresses range in price from $999-$5,099 for a queen-size mattress. There are many less expensive alternatives, especially for couples who dont need different firmness levels on each side of the bed. See our Sleep Number Bed Coupons page for more.
- Features: While Sleep Number Beds come with many useful features, there are features out there that they do not have. For instance, couples might want a bed with dual temperature control.
- Trial period & return policy:Sleep Number offers a 100-night sleep trial. If you decide to return your mattress, you will be charged an additional fee. Some mattress companies have longer trial periods and free returns.
- Shipping cost: Sleep Number charges $199 in shipping. Many companies ship for free.
Who Might Not Want A Sleep Number
- People who love memory foam Depending on what is available, there are one possibly two Sleep Number models that offer a comfort layer made with memory foam. Those who love the feel of classic memory foam will be limited on Sleep Number beds, which are at their core adjustable air beds.
- Couples who like to sleep close together One of the biggest complaints from couples is that a sagging/division is created in between the dual air chambers on the bed. Couples who like to sleep close or cuddle in the center of the bed feel as those they are sinking into the middle of the bed.
Don’t Miss: Sleep Number Bed Greenville Nc
Sleep Trial And Returns
One of the main reasons that buying online is different from in-store is that you dont have the ability to lie down on the bed before making your purchase. Instead, you have a sleep trial during which you can use the mattress at home with the option to return it for a refund.
Most customers appreciate an in-home sleep trial because they can test out the mattress in real-world conditions for an extended time. This gives a clearer sense of whether a mattress works for you than just feeling it out for 15 minutes in a mattress store. During the trial, you can return the mattress if you arent satisfied, and that usually entails the company sending someone to pick it up from your home.
Both Tempur-Pedic and Sleep Number provide a sleep trial with their mattresses.
- Tempur-Pedic gives customers 90 nights to try the mattress at home. You are required to keep the mattress for 30 nights before initiating a return. If you decide that you dont want to keep it, there is a $175 charge for return shipping.
- Sleep Number gives customers 100 nights for a sleep trial and requires that you keep it for 30 nights before initiating a return. The return shipping charge for Sleep Number beds ranges from $199 to $249.
How Do I Find My Sleep Number
There are two main ways to find ones Sleep Number.
- Go to your nearest Sleep Number store and work with a Sales Representative to identify your setting. They will have you lay on a bed in the store and work with you to find both your ideal setting and what Sleep Number mattress models and options may suit you best.
- Find your number at home using your own Sleep Number bed and the remote that it comes with. Following the instructions on Sleep Numbers website, you will want to lie in your waking up sleep position and allow the mattress to go from soft to firm and back from firm to soft so you can identify which level is best for you.
Ones Sleep Number setting is really ultimately determined by what feels right to them. Those who are more inclined to sleep on firmer beds will more likely have a higher Sleep Number than those who like more cushion.
A few things to keep in mind while people are searching for their Sleep Number setting.
Read Also: Sleep Number 360 C4 Bed
The Role Of Genes And Neurotransmitters
Chemical signals to sleep
Clusters of sleep-promoting neurons in many parts of the brain become more active as we get ready for bed. Nerve-signaling chemicals called neurotransmitters can switch off or dampen the activity of cells that signal arousal or relaxation. GABA is associated with sleep, muscle relaxation, and sedation. Norepinephrine and orexin keep some parts of the brain active while we are awake. Other neurotransmitters that shape sleep and wakefulness include acetylcholine, histamine, adrenaline, cortisol, and serotonin.
Genes and sleep
Your health care provider may recommend a polysomnogram or other test to diagnose a sleep disorder. A polysomnogram typically involves spending the night at a sleep lab or sleep center. It records your breathing, oxygen levels, eye and limb movements, heart rate, and brain waves throughout the night. Your sleep is also video and audio recorded. The data can help a sleep specialist determine if you are reaching and proceeding properly through the various sleep stages. Results may be used to develop a treatment plan or determine if further tests are needed.
Lucid L300 Adjustable Bed Base
- Easy to set up on your own
- Remote lets you pre-program your position
- Not as advanced as other models
This pick is ideal for someone who wants an adjustable base but isn’t ready to spend an arm and a leg on it. But dont let the price fool you it still has all the bells and whistles: it can raise your head and feet and theres a wireless remote that you can use to pre-program your ideal position. It even has built-in USB ports for charging your phone or other devices.
The brand says it takes just five minutes to set up and you can do it on your own i.e. no scheduling or waiting around for a delivery service to do it for you not to mention, its an Amazon best-seller with hundreds of five-star reviews. There are also mattresses from the brand that you can buy with the base as a set.
Available sizes: Twin XL, Full, and QueenTrial period:not offered
You May Like: Sleep Number Bed Store Hours
Can I Change The Height Of My Adjustable Base
Yes. Many adjustable base models include height-adjustable legs. On models that come standard with solid steel legs, Leg height kits are available for separate purchase. Please check your owner’s manual for available heights. If your base came standard with casters, they may be removed to reduce the height by 2.5 inches.
How Long Do Sleep Number Mattresses Last
According to Sleep Number, the mattresses should last at least 15 years. However, your mileage may vary. Some reviewers say the mattress lasted them about 10 years, while others say theyve had their Sleep Number for 20 years. Other reviewers report that the mattress didnt last them very long at all and that they experienced sagging issues.
Read Also: Can You Sleep With Monthly Contacts
Will My Bedskirt Fit
Standard sizes will fit the bed, but you may have to cut holes in the platform of the skirt to accommodate the mattress retainer. If so, it is recommended that you iron a fusible interfacing onto the back of the skirt platform for reinforcement this will help prevent future unraveling after washing. Another suggestion to prevent unraveling is to sew buttonholes into the bedskirt.
Sleep Number Mattresses Pros And Cons
In a sense, Sleep Number mattresses are just like any other: The top section is the comfort layer, while the bottom section provides support.
But instead of using layers of supportive foam or an innerspring system, the bottom portion of a Sleep Number mattress features an adjustable air chamber. It can be inflated or deflated to your preferred level of firmness.
Unfortunately, Sleep Number doesnt disclose what the comfort layer is made of. Reviewers describe it as cushiony but not necessarily plush. Some Sleep Number mattresses have thicker comfort layers.
Read Also: Sleep Number Stores In My Area
How Is Sleep Apnea Treated
There are a number of successful treatments available for sleep apnea. Depending on your needs, your dentist may recommend:
Known as Continuous Positive Air Pressure Machines, these electronic devices use an internal fan to draw air inside. The air is then humidified and pressurized before being sent to the user through a connective base and face mask, which they breathe through.
We can offer or recommend custom-fitted oral appliances to shift your tongue and lower jaw muscles to ensure the airway stays open. This helps airflow and prevents you from waking during the night.
At our Yarmouth dental office, we take a non-invasive approach to dental care when possible. We will only rely on surgery when health issues can be successfully treated with other methods like oral appliances or lifestyle changes.
Disassembling The Adjustable / Modular Base
Recommended Reading: Do You Get Put To Sleep For A Tooth Extraction
What Is The Zero
The zero-gravity position on an adjustable bed base mimics the position astronauts take during liftoff. The position is meant to ease the stress on their bodies as they escape Earths gravity. The position raises the feet to the same level as the heart. People who have back pain or who would like to increase their circulation often find this position extremely relaxing.
Is Sleep Number Bed Worth It Best Sleep Number Bed Alternative
A highly successful name in the adjustable air-bed space, Sleep Number offers 11 models with different levels of cushioning. Users can puff them up to their desired firmness levels with the mere touch of a button. Sleep Number beds are worth it but are costlier compared to others in the market which brings with the need for alternatives.
Sleep Number beds are not the only impressive smart beds in the constantly changing world of smart beds in the country.
So which is the best sleep number bed alternative? In addition to the 5 options highlighted below, Ghost SmartBed also gives Sleep Number smart beds a run for their money.
On top of featuring auto real-time adjustments for sleep and biometric sensors for tracking sleep data, the Ghost SmartBed also boasts five zoned support, app integration and an impressive cooling system. The bed’s high adjustability makes it ideal for different sleeping positions and body types. Its comfort layer offers incredible body contouring and pressure relief. The bed’s quilted cover, made from the company’s proprietary Ghost Ice material coupled with a gel polymer layer, create a cool surface for a restful sleep.
*Photo Courtesy of GhostBed
Here are the other Sleep Number bed alternatives worth considering:
· Purple Mattress + Power Base
· Leggett and Platt Prodigy 2.0
· Nectar with Adjustable Base
· Leesa with Adjustable Base
Don’t Miss: Sleep Number Bed For Heavy Person