Delivery Warranty And Returns
The Value Bed line ships free via UPS. Other lines can be delivered in-person for $200. You can pick a day and time window based on availability, and, if all works well, Sleep Numbers Comfort Service Home Delivery service team stops by with your mattress, configures the air pumps and app, and shows you how everything works. However, the delivery team missed my window twice because of New York City traffic . I received my bed on the third try, only to find out that I had been given a one-chamber instead of a two-chamber mattress, as requested. For my re-order, with the help of the Sleep Number public relations team, I was able to confirm a morning delivery and received the correct mattress without a hitch. To be fair, despite my experience, customer service wasnt a big pain point among the user reviews we analyzed.
Theres a 100-night free trial for all new Sleep Number mattresses, but you need to sleep on one for 30 nights before filing for a return. Plus, if you decide to return the mattress, theres at least a $200 fee to cover transportation costs. If you ordered an adjustable base with your mattress, that base cannot be returned.
Sleep Number 360 Smart Bed Mattress Review
Introducing the Sleep Number 360
Slumber Search is supported by readers. Some links on Slumber Search are referral links. If you use one of these and buy something, Slumber Search may make a small amount of money. More info.
There is reason to be excited about the new Sleep Number 360 smart bed. From wearables to tracking apps, the momentum of the Internet of Things has been revolutionary. However, with the exception of a few small upstarts, bed technology has remained largely unchanged. Though you can now order a bed off the Internet and have it delivered to your door in a box, bedding materials are the same as they’ve always been — memory foam, coils, and maybe latex. So, when Select Comfort, the brand that changed everything with their Sleep Number mattress, announced the new Sleep Number 360 during CES 2017, we were very excited.Read on to learn what the bed promises, what the experts are saying about the technology, and how this could be a gamechanger for your comfort.
There is no doubt, that this bed has a ‘wow factor’ that many beds today simply don’t have. There are other smart beds out there, like the Eight mattress, but this is the first major entry by a large mattress brand. As Sleep Number and others hone their products, more mattress tech could be a default for all of us. It is always exciting to see the beginning of something big, and smart beds could be just that!The Good
Sleep Number Mattress Construction
The “P” in the Sleep Number bed stands for Performance, and the 5 stands for the number of body zones the mattress targets. When looking at Sleep Number mattresses, know that the performance series is different from other Sleep Number models. What differs predominantly is their pillowtop style.”
Namely, this means that the Sleep Number offers an added layer of soft padding stitched to the mattress top. It is their comfort layer, specifically designed for pressure relief on all points of their body.
We are reviewing Sleep Number Mattress P5 because these models are their most popular Sleep Number beds based on reviews and experiences. It is the only sleep number bed that targets all the critical points in the body and relieves pressure, along with having a reasonable price point.
It balances firmness and has a contoured cushion to a T with a temperature balancing feature that is highly beneficial to those that need the excess heat transferred away from their body in any sleep position.
With all these features, compared to most mattresses and even most models within the same line, the P5 is genuinely the most affordable Smart Bed option.
Additionally, in this Sleep Number bed review, we will shortly mention another Sleep Number bed model, and that is the P6. As you can imagine, there are minor differences between the two. When these two Sleep Number mattresses compare, some people do not find it worth upgrading while others truly like the extras that go with the P6.
You May Like: Best Magnesium Cream For Sleep
Leggett And Platt Prodigy 20
TheLeggett and Platt Prodigy 2.0 is another luxurious adjustable bed that makes a great alternative to the Sleep Number. It boasts these features snoring preset, smartphone remote or app, WallhuggerTM technology, full-body massage, adjustable legs, and pillow tilt.
Additionally, it features a gentle-wake alarm, sleep timer, two programmable positions, Bluetooth App and USB ports.
Its 10” cool gel foam mattress has 2-inch cooking airflow memory foam, 6-inch Reflexa foam base and 2-inch engineered latex foam.
An impressive feature of this bed is its exclusive MicroHook technology that prevents the mattress from slipping. Moreover, it eliminates the need to have a mattress retainer bar.
A host of high-tech features make it a breeze to control the feature-rich base.
Sleep Number Mattress Vs Alternative Mattresses
Sleep Number Mattresses are a popular choice for shoppers looking for customized comfort. With firmness adjustability and 11 mattress models, there is a fit for every person and sleep position.
But there are reasons that some consumers are looking elsewhere, such as
- Cost savings: Sleep number mattresses range in price from $999-$5,099 for a queen-size mattress. There are many less expensive alternatives, especially for couples who dont need different firmness levels on each side of the bed. See our Sleep Number Bed Coupons page for more.
- Features: While Sleep Number Beds come with many useful features, there are features out there that they do not have. For instance, couples might want a bed with dual temperature control.
- Trial period & return policy:Sleep Number offers a 100-night sleep trial. If you decide to return your mattress, you will be charged an additional fee. Some mattress companies have longer trial periods and free returns.
- Shipping cost: Sleep Number charges $199 in shipping. Many companies ship for free.
Don’t Miss: Sleep Number Palm Beach Gardens
What We Love About The Sleep Number C:
- The Sleep Number C2 is incredibly affordable considering the technology that it offers. Youll be hard-pressed to find an adjustable smart bed at a lower price.
- With DualAiradjustability, you and your partner can sleep on the same mattress with different firmness levels.
- Thanks to the minimal padding and ample airflow through the air chambers, the C2 is one of the best mattresses for hot sleepers.
- The Sleep Number C2 comes equipped with sleep tracking functions known as SleepIQ technology. For tech-savvy sleepers who want to fine-tune their sleep for optimal health and energy, SleepIQ can help.
Smart Bed Support Levels
Like with any mattress, the most essential criterion for a smart bed is whether it delivers the support you need for spinal alignment, says Bert Jacobson, head of the School of Kinesiology, Applied Health and Recreation at Oklahoma State University, who researches the impact of sleep surfaces on slumber quality.
Your body type can determine what level of fitness is necessary for a good night’s sleep. Heavier people tend to require firmer mattresses to support their bodys pressure zones, for example. One size does not fit all. For the best support, a bed should conform to your weight and form, with different amounts of density where the body is heavier or lighter, says Jacobson. A Consumer Reports survey found people with neck and back pain reported better sleep on adjustable air beds such as Sleep Number mattresses, where firmness could be precisely tweaked.
Recommended Reading: Parachute Down Side Sleeper Pillow
How Many Layers Does It Have
Typically a very conforming mattress, the Sleep Number P5, with its five zones of contouring support, easily molds and contours to your body.
The 2 PlushFit foam layer offers consistent comfort to sleepers of all weights and sizes.
The instant firmness adjustment has fast become one of the most recognized and valued features of the Sleep Number P5 and other Sleep Number models.
The ability to select, adjust and set your levels of firmness or softness, along with individual levels of pressure relief and support, set the Sleep Number beds apart from those of their competitors.
Sleep Number Series/model Breakdown
Sleep Number offers two types of beds:
- 360® Smart Beds
- Value Beds
The 360® Smart Beds are organized into three categories: Classic, Performance, and Innovation.
Each series essentially builds off the other. The Classic Series beds, the C2, and C4 offer the most standard options while the Innovation Series has the largest, thickest layers and most added features.
The Classic series models are the most basic mattresses. They will have the firmest feel to them because there is the least amount of layers between the air chamber and the top of the mattress.
|72 x 84||split only at the head of the bed|
The Split and FlexTop mattresses are best paired with a FlexFit Adjustable Base. For example, with a Split King, the sleeper can raise/lower just the head and feet of his or her side of the bed. If the persons partner is snoring, he or she could raise the head of just their side with a FlexTop.
Don’t Miss: Where To Buy Sleep Science Mattress
Customization Options And Special Features
Customization options and features vary based on the Sleep Number collection and include:
- Flexfit, which allows users to raise their partners head to reduce snoring.
- Under-bed lighting, which helps users find their way around at night safely with additional illumination.
- Adjustable positions, which raise or lower portions of the bed to adjust the users overall sleeping experience.
- Foot warming, which provides targeted, adjustable heat at the foot of the bed.
Selecting A Bed And Preparing For Delivery
If you’re seriously considering getting a 360 Smart Bed, I strongly suggest speaking with one of the company’s Sleep Professionals, who can assess your needs, give you a rundown of the different models and features, and help you pick the best model for you.
Sleep Number’s beds are expensive, but the company often runs promotions, so wait for a deal if you can. At the time of this writing, it’s offering $800 off 360 Smart Beds as part of a fall sale. The company also occasionally waives its $199 premium delivery and setup fee, which is otherwise required with the purchase of any 360 Smart Bed.
To make the cost more manageable, Sleep Number offers financing options through Synchrony Financial starting at $45 per month. For peace of mind, the company also offers a 100-night trial and a 15-year limited warranty.
Before receiving my review unit, I was a little nervous about whether it would work with my current bed frame, and I’m happy to report that it does. The FlexFit base needs to sit directly on the floor, but in many cases, can be dropped into your existing bed frame, as is the case with my setup. Sleep Number says it won’t work with platform furniture and frames with under-bed storage.
Recommended Reading: How Often Do Sleep Number Beds Go On Sale
Core Line 25 Year Limited Warranty
Sleep Number®s Core Line of mattresses: C2, C4, P5, P6, I7, I8, and I10 models and Sleep Number® modular bases purchased after May 1, 2017, are covered in the 25-year limited warranty.
It is highly recommended that potential customers and already existing customers read the full warranty policy on the website. There are some important insights and weve listed a couple here:
- Sleep Number will essentially cover the cost of a manufacturing or product defect in full for the first two years of the warranty.
- There are several things you can do to void your warranty. Some of these include staining/damaging your mattress with liquids or fluids, ripping off the legal tag, opening the remote and forgetting to keep your original receipt .
- After the first two years, you are responsible for a portion of the price needed for any repairs or replacements to your mattress or base.
Sleep Trial And Returns
Since customers who purchase a mattress online arent able to try it first, most online mattress retailers offer a lengthy sleep trial. The sleep trial allows you to test out your new mattress at home and return it if you dont like it.
Often these sleep trials require customers to sleep on the bed for a minimum number of nights before they can return or exchange it. If a return is requested, the company may coordinate pickup and donation or recycling. In most instances, customers then receive a full refund. However, some companies may require the customer to pay return shipping charges or a restocking fee.
Sleep Number Sleep Trial and Return PolicyAll Sleep Number 360 mattresses come with a 100-day trial. Sleep Number has a mandatory 30-day break-in period before shoppers can initiate a return. The company will provide a full refund minus return delivery fees, provided the mattress is returned in good condition.
Purple Sleep Trial and Return PolicyPurple offers a 100-night sleep trial for all mattresses, but requires a 21-night mandatory break-in period. For customers who choose to return their mattress, Purple arranges pickup at no charge and coordinates donation to a local charity or recycling plant. The customer is then refunded the cost of the mattress in full, minus any original delivery fees. Customers can also elect to exchange the mattress for a different Purple model in lieu of a refund.
Recommended Reading: How Big Is A Sleep Number King Size Bed
Excellent Matches For Sleep Number 360 P6 Smart Bed
- Want a smart bed This product interacts with a handful of different apps and smart devices. It even tracks biometrics such as heart and respiratory rates.
- With an air chamber under each side of the mattress, sleepers can have their firmness adjusted to fit their specific needs and body type. As a bonus, sleepers get excellent motion isolation and edge support properties that make sharing this sleeping space even more convenient and comfortable.
- Cooling Gel-infused foams should help regulate body heat and keep your mattress coolthe mattress links with the Nest Thermostat to help you identify your optimal bedroom temperature.
Sleep Number C2 Performance Highlights
- Adjustable firmness: With 100 firmness options to choose from, the Sleep Number C2 delivers exceptional customization. Using the adjustable air chambers, you can experiment until you find the right feel for you. Whats more, the firmness can be adjusted from one day to the next for changing needs.
- Dual air chambers: Couples rarely have the exact same mattress needs. Double-sized Sleep Number beds and larger have dual sided adjustability, meaning you and your partner can each choose your own firmness.
- Low-cost air mattress: The C2 is Sleep Numbers least expensive mattress. At less than $1,000 for a queen-sizeC2 mattress, you can reap the benefits of dual adjustability, responsive air technology, and sleep tracking without breaking the bank.
- Motion isolation: Thanks to individual air chambers on each side of the mattress , the C2 mattress doesnt spread movement from one side of the bed to the other. By limiting motion transfer, it helps couples sleep together peacefully.
- Responsive: The C2 mattress has technology within that adjusts to your every move. This responsiveness makes it easy to reposition seamlessly at night, great for combination sleepers and those who toss and turn.
- Sleeps cool: Air mattresses tend to sleep cooler than all other mattress types. And thanks to the minimal foam layers in the C2, its the coolest of the Sleep Number mattresses.
Read on to learn what type of sleepers are best-served by the C2 bed.
You May Like: Dr Barbara Sturm Sleep Food
Does It Have Any Smell
The Sleep Number P5 does have a noticeable rubber-like, even chemical-like odor when new. The odor tends to diminish after a couple of weeks. The comfort layers on top do not give this smell, but its the rubber air chambers on the inside that do.
Our research revealed that some owners indicated that the odor was still present even after extended periods of time.
Sleep Number Bed Losing Air Replacement Air Chamber
As mentioned earlier, Sleep Number is popular for adjustable mattresses. The mattresses which are actually air beds are connected to a hose and pump making it effortless to inflate and deflate the bed to achieve the desired level of comfort.
While adjustability is a great feature to a user, it means that airflow resulting from movements can result in holes or tears that cause the bed to lose air. Such an occurrence shouldn’t deny users quality sleep. Fixing the issue is possible in three ways, chief among them replacing the air chamber the other two being: checking on the firmness control system and fixing a loose hose.
Fixing or replacing an air chamber leak is somewhat more complex compared to solving a cap or hose issue. The prudent thing to do is to seek professional help at the nearestSleep Number location.
When it comes to Ghost SmartBed, it features a long-lasting, medical-grade air chamber. The air chamber has five individual zones on both sides of the mattress to ensure both partners enjoy the utmost comfort. What is for sure is that these chambers are highly customizable to the desired needs of users.
Recommended Reading: What To Eat Before Sleep For Weight Loss
Sleep Number Remote Not Working
The firmness of a Sleep Number bed is controlled via a remote or SleepIQ app.
Have trouble with the remote? Don’t fret as troubleshooting isn’t challenging. Two AA batteries run the Sleep Number 360 smart bed remote. In addition to following the remote’s set-up process, users need to ensure their bed is not only plugged in but also all the connections are secure.
When a remote stops working, inflating or deflating the mattress isn’t possible. The remote can stop working mainly because of two reasons
· Kinked hose
· Loss of power connection
If the bed’s Firmness Control System is not running as you try to deflate or inflate, it means that the system isn’t getting enough power. If that’s the case, push the power cord into the wall and system’s base.
If it is because of a kinked or loose hose connection, check to ensure the hose isn’t lined at the bed’s base and mattress. A kinked hose connection is also common with theFLEXFIT 3 SMART BASE. If this is the case, check the connection of the hose at the pump.
Another issue that affects a remote is the display not working. If the display light is dimmed or not working, consider changing the batteries. When doing that, insert the batteries and battery cover properly.
Learn how to set up the Sleep Number bed remotein this video.